Friday, March 9, 2007

Immigration....Helping The Students, vs. Punishing The Parents.

Ok...so last night' class got pretty intense, and I know that within my small group, I sparked some defininte heat--bows and arrows were probally being visually shot my way. But, that's ok-on an issue like this, I'm all about sharing my thoughts, for sometimes I feel that other people may feel the same way, they just don't want to say it. But, from my Diversity class with Greg in the summer, I'm use to it. I also needed a night to kind of cool off, and take a breather, for I left the class very heated, and I just didn't want to post with anger and blood to my ears and not listening or thinking clearly, I tend to do that.

Here is goes.....I feel that if you are an illegal immigrant living within the United States, and you get caught here illegally, too bad so sad! Work it out! WAIT! Before the evil comments come flying my way--I do recogonize that it isn't the easiest process and that living here in America is probally way better then in Mexico, or where ever your home country is, but still. When we look back into our history like Greg was talking about doing, look at the Irish Immigrants that came into this country. My family is predominatly Irish, so yes, I am an a decendent of immigrants as well, and I recongize that--but still. My family bust their asses to get where they are today. My Great-Grandfather who came here straight off the boat, for the predjuices, and dirty looks, and the, "No Irish Need Apply." But, that never stoppped him. He went through the citienship process, he learned to speak English when all he knew was Galelic, and he became a top guy in the Labor Union World. He payed his dues, so that his ancestors, being my family and myself, didn't have to go through some of the things that the illigal immigrants children are going through. SO, my question is....what has changed from then till now?

With that said, I like Dakota am all about and in favor of The Dream Act. I do not feel that the children should have to pay for the mistakes, or maybe not mistakes, but misfourtunes of their parents, but like he said, that could be abused, and then the whole act would be a sham! We wouldn't want that now, would we? Yes, this does sound like am I saying to punish the parents, but you can't live life blaming other people for everything that has haappened to you--there needs to be some ownership for your life. I think that it great that they are getting out of their coutry where it sucks, but there is always a cause and effect to everything that happens in life, and I feel that people forget that, when it comes to this issue.

Finally, it may seem that I am this non-compassionate heartless bitch, but I am not tryin to be. There was talk last night about looking at things on a case-by-case basis, but that imposssible! If that were the case, then to hell with the rules! That's what that sounds like to me! We can't do that, we live in a society that needs rules and structure; they just need to be reformed and reevaluted, so that everyone can win, or that the process of becoming a citizen doesn't take 7 years.
And, I agree with what Robert said, "We are all every other's country trash!" Our ancestors were immigrants, and they worked to get where they are today--and I feel that immigrants in this country should do that same.

Alright--send the flaming bows and arrows my way!

No comments: